Hungarian Hangover Cure (Korhely Soup) by Kitchen Paprikash. "Korhely" soup is made with sauerkraut, so it's a very sour dish. We usually eat this dish on January 1st because it really is the best cure for a hangover (of course, you can cook it anytime).
Most Hungarians cook this soup with smoked meat/sausage added, but I prefer this version with meatballs. You can replace the pork with ground turkey. If you prefer it less sour, you can drain the juice and wash the cabbage thoroughly.
Here is the recipe (for 6):
1 lb Sauerkraut
1/4 lb ground pork (or turkey)
1 small bunch of parsley
3 tbsp paprika (Hungarian if possible)
1 heaped tbsp flour
seasonings (salt, black pepper, Vegeta)
1. Put the sauerkraut into a pot and pour over 7-8 cups water
2. Bring it to a boil and cook on medium heat about 1 hour until it's soft
3. Finely chop the onion and slowly soften on medium-low heat in 2 tbsp olive oil
4. Meanwhile prepare the meat for the meatballs
5. Chop the parsley, and mix it with the ground pork, egg, salt and lots of black pepper
6. Mix it well and put into the fridge for about half an hour
7. When the onion is soft add a heaped tbsp flour to it and cook until it's golden brown (about 5 min)
8. Turn off the heat, add 2-3 tbsp paprika, and stir well
9. Pour this into the soup (which is still boiling) and stir
10. Add more paprika if the soup is not red enough
11. Season the soup with salt and lots of black pepper
12. Add some VEGETA, or any other soup seasoning
13. Make the meatballs. Water your hands and form walnut sized tiny balls and drop those into the boiling soup
14. Cook for about 15 minutes
15. Serve it with some sour cream and a little parsley on top. A nice slice of crusty bread goes well with it.
There will be more Hungarian recipes to come - check those out too if you enjoyed this one.
(Music by: MrStick© 2016 - all rights reserved)
Tags: Hungarian Hangover Cure (Korhely Soup) by Kitchen Paprikash, Hungarian, Hangover, Cure, Hangover cure, kitchen, paprikash, Kitchen Paprikash, Paprika, Sauerkraut, soup, cuisine, food, recipe, dish, cook, cooking, home-made, easy, quick, korhely, korhely leves, sour, sauerkraut soup, Hungarian cuisine, easy to make, Hungarian food, Recipe, Hungarian recipe, how to, how to make, how to cook, Hungary, best